For the past 30 years, I have been teaching Spanish to students at all levels and ages. My students have been medical professionals, business executives and university professors.
I like to read, study, and help people. I really enjoy watching ESPN – especially the basketball, baseball, and soccer! (The Chicago Bulls, Boston Red Sox, Barcelona, and Municipal de Guatemala are my favorites.) I love history and I especially reading Guatemalan literature. I enjoy teaching and showing international students my culture and the best of Guatemala so that they might learn to love my country too. I want everyone to understand why I am proud to be a guatemalteca.
Introducción en español
My preferred teaching method is total language immersion, taking into account the student’s level, age, abilities and limitations. I particularly enjoy teaching using a multimedia approach with internet games such as Kahoot and Educaplay, flashcards, songs and video clips; all based on subjects tailored to the student’s interests and professional needs.
I cover a wide range of conversation topics which I am well versed in; from Literature and Art to Pop Culture and Sports. The lessons are always intended to be fun, interesting, and engaging. Students not only learn the Spanish language, but also gain a better understanding of Guatemalan and Latin American culture. Finally, students with interests in cooking and food may elect to incorporate cooking lessons. Not only will you learn to cook local Guatemalan dishes, but you’ll be learning Spanish and the vocabulary used in the kitchen and recipes.
What do people say about Milvia?
Licenses & Certifications
- Certificate: Medical Spanish for Foreign Students
- Conferences: “Cultura Turística” & “Excelencia en el Mundo Maya”, Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo INGUAT
- ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) – Spanish, Superior, American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (US)
- Teaching Certificate: Teaching Spanish as a Second Language, Rafael Landivar University
- BA: Secondary Education, Francisco Marroquín University
- Online Spanish Coach – Pronto Spanish (2022 – Present)
- Online Spanish Tutor – Speak Shop (2006-2021)
- Spanish as a Second Language Instructor – PROBIGUA Language Academy (1996 – 2020)